Croydon-based R&B musician J-Rock has released a charity single, in which he performs alongside seven other artists all of whom have autism.
Father of five J-Rock – also known as John Paul Horsley – was put in touch with Anna Kennedy, the founder of an autism charity, when one of his sons was diagnosed with autism. Horsley is now a patron of the Anna Kennedy Online charity.
J-Rock was a member of the MOBO-award-winning hip-hop group Big Brovaz. The charity single sees him producing and singing a version of his 2003 hit “Baby Boy”.
Kennedy is a campaigner for autism and has set up schools and colleges for autistic children and adults when there were once no provision. The charity, Anna Kennedy Online, stages an annual show “Autism’s Got Talent”.
The idea to re-release “Baby Boy” came after the charity launched their first album, Building Bridges, by performers that Kennedy chose from past shows.
“All the performers have had daily struggles in life, whether it be through being bullied, anxieties, mental health issues, yet here they were pushing through those struggles and engaging with each other, and having lots of fun, recording and filming,” Kennedy said.
Kennedy hopes that sales of this single will help create more opportunities for people with autism.
The single can be downloaded via iTunes from 99p. To view the trailer, click here.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com