Join the Kenley Revival Project manager on a tour of Kenley airfield, learn about RAF Kenley’s significant Battle of Britain history and hear about the conservation, preservation and restoration of one of Britain’s finest examples of “Impermanent Architecture”.
The special guided tour is being held from 1pm on Monday, July 30, and is free of charge.
Kenley was used from 1917 by the Royal Flying Corps in World War I, and by the Royal Air Force in World War II, when it was one of three fighter bases – the others being Biggin Hill and Croydon – which provided most of the airborne defences for London during the Battle of Britain in 1940 and the Blitz.
The guided tour is outdoors and therefore suitable clothing must be worn. Surfaces may be uneven and slippery. The route will be a mixture of surfaced path and grass and therefore suitable footwear must be worn. The route is approximately two miles long.
There is no parking available onsite and the organisers would encourage you to travel by public transport (details can be found here). Limited parking is available on Hayes Lane which is closest to the RAF Kenley Tribute where the walk will commence.
There are no toilet or refreshment facilities available.
The meeting point will be at the RAF Kenley Tribute (nearest entrance for this is off of Hayes Lane).
- HELP KEEP INSIDE CROYDON ONLINE: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org