A council employee who works to support people with disabilities into work has been named among the finalists in the National Diversity Awards.
Nana Marfo, who works as an employment support officer in the council’s Gateway division, is among the leading contenders in the Positive Role Model Award – Disability, selected from more than 24,550 nominations.
Marfo, 35, works to get people with disabilities into – or back into – supported employment and increase their independence. His work has included supporting a Croydon man with Autism Spectrum Disorder to start a nursery apprenticeship after more than 30 unsuccessful applications for other jobs.
Another example was a man who had been long-term unemployed after a stroke ending up getting a job as a court usher.
Marfo was born with a permanent breathing disorder that required throat surgery, and he has since then also suffered the loss of sight in his right eye.
He said: “We all deserve access to a workplace which is accommodating and gives full support to people with disabilities. Due to my tracheostomy I almost lost my voice; now I feel a duty to use it to speak for those who feel they do not have one.
“I was stunned and proud to be nominated, and hope this will raise the profile of jobseekers with disabilities.”
The winners of the National Diversity Awards will be announced in Liverpool on September 14.
- HELP KEEP INSIDE CROYDON ONLINE: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com