The Football Association has confirmed its decision to kick Whyteleafe out of this year’s FA Cup for fielding a banned player.
The club had an appeal hearing at FA headquarters at Wembley yesterday afternoon over the case of Adekunle Odutolu, who played for Whyteleafe against Saltdean earlier this month.
According to Leafe manager Harry Hudson, “We are being punished for registering a player – Adekunle Odutolu – under his full name, as per his formal identification, which is what is required by FA rules. Adekunle Odutolu does not have any ban outstanding.
“Unfortunately, other clubs had not followed protocol and they registered the player under his nickname, and now we are being punished.”
Yet even today, Odutolu continues to appear on Whyteleafe’s website under his nickname.
In a statement last night, the Football Association said, “The appeal lodged by Whyteleafe FC against a decision of The FA Cup Committee was heard this afternoon and the appeal was dismissed in its entirety and, therefore, the original decision remains.
“Corinthian Casuals FC will now play away to St Albans City FC in the Second Round Qualifying, in the week commencing Monday 1 October 2018.”
Whyteleafe responded to the decision by stating, “Secretary Karen Muir and Manager Harry Hudson put their case strongly and the Appeal Committee were sympathetic but the FA’s original decision was upheld and the case was dismissed.
“We are all extremely disappointed with this decision.”
Whyteleafe play at home this afternoon in the FA Trophy against Bowers and Pitsea, with a league fixture now confirmed for Tuesday at home against Ramsgate.
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com