Words of Colour, in partnership with Lenses of Croydon, will be hosting a special Black History Month event featuring award-winning and pioneering art director, designer, author and sneaker fanatic, Paul Ayre.
Ayre will be in conversation with Words of Colour executive director Joy Francis about his diverse career, including being one of the first black British senior creatives at MTV, the influence of hip-hop and reggae on his work, the importance of inspiring young people and why he describes himself as a “cultural sponge”.
The conversation will be guided by a visual showcase of some of his best-known work.
Ayre has worked as art director for the children’s channel Nickelodeon UK and head of graphics for MTV Europe. He has produced work for clients such as Channel 4, Viacom, Channel 5 News, Sony Music, NBC Universal, The Africa Channel, CBS/Drama, Adidas, D&AD and Nike.
His design and art direction has been recognised internationally with awards from the Tokyo Animation Festival, Broadcast Design of America and BAFTA.
A visiting lecturer at University of Arts London, he has also lectured at Central St Martins and The London College of Fashion.
As a member of the design and advertising collective Milk, Ayre is a co-author and designer of the book Sneakers – Size isn’t Everything (Booth Clibborn Editions). This event marks the publication’s 20th anniversary.
It’s the first publication to examine “sneaker culture” and its impact, which permeates almost every aspect of popular culture, colliding with the infancy of the internet.
This special event will be staged at Croydon Voluntary Action, London Road, from 6.45pm on Tuesday, October 23.
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com