Croydon shopping malls Centrale and Whitgift are gearing themselves for the annual Christmas business surge, with a big lights switch-on planned for 6pm at Centrale’s Christmas Tree next Thursday, November 15.
This might, just, be the last Christmas when the Whitgift Centre is open for business, before the scheduled start of redevelopment works in 2019. So the centre’s management is hoping to ensure this year’s festive fun goes with some extra Ho, Ho, Ho.
There’s a long list of festive activities planned, including the giving tree, carol singing, Santa’s Toy Workshop Grotto and the hugely popular gift-wrapping service.
On the other side of North End, Centrale’s tree-lighting next week is the first big activity, with the help of family favourite cartoon heroes, PJ Masks.
Throughout the day, the heroes will be available for reading sessions at both Centrale and Whitgift shopping centres, as they perform exciting live-action stories. Then, from 6pm, PJ Masks will be illuminating Croydon by switching on the Christmas lights in front of Centrale’s Christmas Tree.
Once the festivities are in full-swing, Centrale will be bringing the North Pole to Croydon with its very own Christmas Grotto.
Bright, colourful and full of presents, the Grotto will wow visitors with its Christmas magic as it transports them to Santa’s Toy Workshop, combining classic Christmas toys with modern favourites. Opening the weekend of November 24-25, and then every day from December 1 until Christmas Eve, visitors can truly get into the spirit of the most wonderful time of the year.
“The festive season is a magical time of year for all the family, and we are delighted to capture that with these fantastic events at Centrale and Whitgift,” Ian Harvey, Centrale and Whitgift’s marketing manager, said.
“We’re delighted that Santa’s toy workshop grotto is returning this year, along with festive carol singing and the annual giving tree to support local charities.”
Entry to Santa’s Toy Workshop Grotto is £4.50. For more details, visit the Centrale and Whitgift website here.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org