Croydon Scouts chose a particularly interesting date for their latest group outing, to the Palace of Westminster yesterday to learn about the workings of Parliament on the day that news emerged that a Brexit agreement had been brokered between the EU and the Government.
Scouts from across the borough travelled to the Palace for UK Parliament Week and to visit the seat of the nation’s legislative body, where they were hosted by two of the borough’s MPs, Chris Philp and Sarah Jones.
The Scouts met with a party from the Girl Guides and were allowed to sit in on debates in both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and were taught about the importance of both halves of the Palace of Westminster. Some Scouts were taken aback by the grandeur of the chambers and some more keen-eyed Scouts were stunned to see the likes of Diane Abbot and other high-profile MPs rushing around between debates and divisions.
The Scouts were also taught about the suffragettes, it being the centenary of women getting the right to vote.
In one of parliament’s committee rooms, the Scouts and Guides took turns asking the two Croydon MPs questions on different topics starting with their role and how democracy works in the UK, all the way to Brexit and what the MPs who represent them would like to get in regards to a deal leaving the EU.
Both MPs were presented with a Croydon District scarf.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com