Councils across London are being urged today to provide more funding to treat alcohol abuse, as figures from Public Health England show rising numbers of hospital admissions due to alcohol.
According to PHE figures, 13 per cent of all hospital admissions in England in 2017-2018 were due to alcohol.
Croydon was among the worst three areas in London for alcohol-related hospital admissions, at 6,512. That’s more than 17 a day, every day, throughout 12 months.
Notably, though, Croydon was one of the few areas which did not record a year-on-year increase in alcohol-related admissions in 2017.
The PHE report also shows that 2,480 Londoners died in 2017-2018 because of alcohol-related illnesses. In Croydon, 119 people died from the effects of alcohol, the PHE figures show.
The data from PHE was released yesterday.
PHE says, “Alcohol use has health and social consequences borne by individuals, their families, and the wider community… Reducing harmful drinking is one of seven priority areas that Public Health England is focusing efforts on securing improvement.”
The statistics have prompted one private addiction treatment clinic group to call on local authorities to set aside more of their already stretched budgets for drug and alcohol treatment services, as well as early intervention and awareness campaigns.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com