The Friends of Selsdon Wood have a busy programme of events – walks, work days, and some meetings – planned for 2019, with their first walk coming up on March 9, and the group’s annual meeting on March 25.
Owned by the National Trust, but under council management, Selsdon Wood nature reserve, also known as the “Bird Sanctuary”, is a 200-acre link to the Surrey countryside. The ancient woodland is dominated by oak, beech, ash and sweet chestnut. The coppiced woodland is mainly hazel.
The Friends group stages walks most months, while of their meetings they say, “All are welcome to come along – we would value your opinion. If you are interested in the future of Selsdon Wood, we need your views.”
All meetings start at 8pm at The Forum, Forestdale, with the AGM being held on Monday March 25.
The walks, they say, “are slow and easy – a meander rather than a hike”, and last about two hours.
The walks start from Selsdon Wood car park, Old Farleigh Road, at the time indicated.
Mar 9, 2pm: Family Woodland Walk with Meike Weiser (for families with children aged 5+)
Apr 6, 2pm: Spring Walk with the Friends
May 4, 2pm: Bluebells and Birds with the Friends
Jun 16, 11am: Summer Flowers with Malcolm Jennings
Jul 13, 11am: Butterflies with the Friends
Jul 18, 9pm: Bats and Moths with the Friends
Aug 14, 2pm: Mini-Beast Hunt with Roger Hawkins (of interest to young children)
Sep 8, noon to 4pm: FSW Open Day and Selsdon Community Fun Event
Oct 5, 10am: Fungus Hunt with the Friends
Nov 2, 1pm: Autumn Leaves with the Friends
The Friends of Selsdon Woods work days are an essential part of the maintenance and enhancement work that helps to cherish the environment in the resreve. “You work for as long as suits you and choose jobs to suit your strengths. Tools are provided but please bring food and drink if you feel you need them. We do need more help and would welcome your assistance.”
Meeting in Selsdon Wood car park on Sundays at 10am, there are work days planned for February 24, March 3 and 31, April 7, May 5, June 2, July 7, August 4, September 29, October 6 and 27, November 3 and 24, December 1.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org