Inside Croydon’s non-resident rambler is off on his travels again soon. And this time, he’s giving iC’s loyal readers the chance to tag along for the trip.
Saturday, April 6, will be Inside Croydon’s first public guided walk, with Ken Towl leading the way to places less well-travelled, venturing into sometimes forgotten corners of this bit of south London.
Best of all, taking part in this Inside Croydon guided walk is completely free of charge!
Ken Towl’s walks in and around Croydon have been regular and well-read features on this website, and this is your chance to take part in one of them in the company of fellow iC readers, with Ken offering his expert guidance and information along the way.
We’re keeping our OS Map close to our chest at the moment, but Towl has a secret route marked out that he reckons will cover about four miles, taking at least two hours at a comfortable pace for most people, and which will include a tea and coffee stop along the way, with a pub at the finish for those who would like a spot of lunch.
The morning’s excursion is a point-to-point ramble, which along the way offers some exceptional views across the capital (bring your binoculars and cameras!). But it will require the use of public transport to get to the starting point and then home from the finish. So walkers will need to come equipped with their Oyster cards or Freedom Passes.
Anyone signing up for the walk will also need to be shod in decent footwear that can withstand off-road, rough surfaces, and to wear clothing that reflects the climate of southern England in early April. Light rucksacks for you to bring shower tops, water bottles, snacks and sandwiches are recommended.
Anyone with a medical condition is advised to get advice from their GP before considering signing up.
Dogs are welcome, but only on a lead and if you, as the owner, are confident that pooch can last out more than four miles. And children under-16 are welcome, too, but each must be accompanied by a responsible adult. We suggest that this walk probably isn’t a good idea for little ‘uns under-10.
Places on this guided walk are strictly limited, and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Priority in bookings will be given to Patrons of Inside Croydon.
For £5 per month, Patrons provide vital financial support for the award-winning, campaigning journalism which Inside Croydon delivers daily. For more information about how you can become an Inside Croydon Patron, and sign up, please click here.
On the day of the walk, Saturday, April 6, our group will meet at a central Croydon location at 10.45am, and leave promptly, with public transport whisking us off to our ramble start point.
Details of the meeting point will be emailed to all accepted participants in the week before the walk.
In taking part in this walk, participants agree that they do so at their own risk, and no liability is taken by Ken Towl, Inside Croydon or its publishers
To register your name (and anyone who might accompany you) for the Inside Croydon ramble on April 6, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with the word “Ramble” in the subject field, and include your name and daytime contact number in the body of the email.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com