Work is to begin at Coulsdon South next month to build lifts and a footbridge to provide step-free access to both platforms at the station.
Network Rail is carrying out the work as part of a £300million Access For All project across 72 other stations around the country, including Selhurst and Carshalton, in the latest round of funding which was recently announced by the government.
The £3.5million lifts installation at Selhurst began this month. The Coulsdon improvement work will begin on May 28, and is due to be completed by early 2020.
Network Rail will hold a drop-in session on May 1 (from 4pm to 7pm) in the Coulsdon South station ticket hall, to discuss the plans with residents.
Chris Philp, the MP for the area, said: “This is an important project that will provide proper access to people with mobility issues.
“I know that this has been a problem for many residents who find Coulsdon South Station difficult to use. I have previously called for the government to ensure that access to Coulsdon South is upgraded to the level needed, and I am pleased to see this being delivered.”
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com