Places are now open for Inside Croydon’s latest guided walk, in and around our bit of south London, and to be held on Saturday, May 18.
Ken Towl, our non-resident rambler, will again be leading the way as we explore some places less well-travelled, venturing into sometimes forgotten corners of this bit of the capital.
As our previous, well-attended guided walk showed, there can be surprises along the route even for those who think they know the area very well already, as we managed to cross two hemispheres in a morning and discovered what appeared to be the nest of a dragon…
If you want to take part in this guided walk, please apply today.
Previous ramblers and newcomers are all welcome. Places are limited, and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority in bookings will be given to Patrons of Inside Croydon.
As previously, the exact location for our starting and finishing points will be sent to participants in the week before the ramble. But you should expect to cover between four and five miles, taking at least two hours at a comfortable pace for most people, and we will try to include a tea and coffee stop along the way, with a pub at the finish for those who would like a spot of lunch.
Best of all, taking part in this Inside Croydon guided walk is completely free of charge!
On the day of the walk, our group will meet at 10.45am, to set off promptly.
The excursion is a point-to-point ramble will require the use of public transport to get to the starting point and then home from the finish. So walkers will need to come equipped with their Oyster cards or Freedom Passes.
Anyone signing up for the walk will also need to be shod in decent footwear that can withstand off-road, rough surfaces, and to wear clothing that reflects the climate of southern England in May. We live on the edge of the North Downs, so expect some hills to climb. Light rucksacks for you to bring shower tops, water bottles, snacks and sandwiches are recommended.
Anyone with a medical condition is advised to get advice from their GP before considering signing up.
Children under-16 are welcome, too, but each must be accompanied by a responsible adult. We suggest that this walk probably isn’t a good idea for little ‘uns under-10.
In taking part in this walk, participants agree that they do so at their own risk, and no liability is taken by Ken Towl, Inside Croydon or its publishers
To register your name (and anyone who might accompany you) for the Inside Croydon ramble on May 18, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words “Ramble May 18” in the subject field, and include your name and daytime contact number in the body of the email.
Interested in becoming an Inside Croydon Patron? For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com