Since 1985, the over-50s of Upper Norwood have enjoyed regular talks, social meetings and outings at the Phoenix Community Centre.
But earlier this year, with no volunteers coming forward from within the membership to replace key members of the committee, the Phoenix Retirement Association faced the threat of closure.
No chairman could be found to replace Anne Pike, who is now in her 80s and had staunchly held the post for 10 years.
Then, at the eleventh hour, two volunteers came forward, Emily Jewell, from Upper Norwood Library, and local historian Bernard Winchester, enabling the club to continue, to the relief of the 50-plus-strong members.
And with that show of support, Pike pitched in by drawing up a programme of events for 2019, which begins with a talk at the centre on May 13.
The five speakers are all known for the quality of their talks at societies throughout Croydon and Lambeth, while Silver Belles and Beaux are a well-liked group of singers who will entertain the club at Christmas.
Meetings are held at the Centre next to Sainsburys at 66, Westow St, SE19 3AF, on the second Monday of the month at 2pm for 2.30pm.
Work is already going into arranging a summer outing.
Membership of the association for May to December 2019 is £10. Visitors may attend for £2 per meeting, including refreshments.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi. I am 78 and live in West Wickham . I wonder if I am eligible to join the Phoenix Retirement Association? I am interested in the talks that take place once a month. I can’t find any contact details which might enable me to join and pay the subscription. This is the only email I can find.
It’s not really the kind of thing that needs posting – Inside Croydon must have an email address for them!
Hi Josie. Contact details for PRA can be found at https://nowcroydon.uk/feature/phoenix-retirement-association-meeting-programme-2022