Enjoying Croydon’s parks and open spaces, spending quality time with family and friends, tackling air pollution and feeling healthier are a few of the benefits residents can enjoy during National Walking Month in May.
People are being encouraged to walk more this month and step up to a healthier lifestyle. It is an opportunity for everyone to do a bit more exercise and improve their wellbeing by taking regular breaks outdoors in the fresh air and leaving the car at home.
The council supports many guided walks. There are more than 80 guided walks and events throughout the year to help you discover and enjoy local parks and open spaces.
Ken Morcombe is a Croydon Health Walks leader: “Walking has been very beneficial for my health and wellbeing. I have a history of cardiac disease which has resulted in three major surgical interventions.
“Due to the exercise from walking, I am now blessed with good health and a high level of fitness. I really enjoy taking part and leading the walks and seeing others’ fitness levels also improve.
“It has been great to watch the scheme grow from a handful of walkers to some of the most popular locations hosting more than a hundred walkers on a single day. In addition, it is a good way to enjoy our lovely parks and open spaces, along with company, which is important for our emotional and mental well-being too.”
- Inside Croydon is staging its own guided ramble, led by Ken Towl, on Saturday May 18. Starting at 10.45am, the walk will be around four miles long and take approximately two hours. For more information, and to book your place or places, click here.
Interested in becoming an Inside Croydon Patron? For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com