The community-minded South Norwood Tourist Board is staging a group walk tomorrow, declaring their aim to: “Reclaim the Country Park!”
As Inside Croydon reported yesterday, there have been six assaults on women in South Norwood Country Park in the past two months, four of them sexual.
A man was taken into Croydon police station for questioning earlier this week, but he was later released without charge.
The Tourist Board wants people – especially women – to meet at 10am at the visitor centre for a group walk. “While we normally don’t post about the bad stuff in South Norwood, we feel it is necessary to issue a warning about the attacks in the Country Park, and for people (especially lone women) to be extra vigilant if going there,” they posted online yesterday.
As when they organised, at short notice, a Grenfell solidarity walk through South Norwood last November, the Tourist Board wants as many people to turn out tomorrow morning, effectively to intimidate the intimidator.
“South Norwood Women Stand Together – Reclaim the Country Park,” they say. “Bring your dogs, banners and attitude!”
- This piece of local news reporting was brought to you without a penny of subsidy from the BBC or any local councils. If you want to support independent local journalism, sign up today as a supporter. For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here for more details
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com