The Purley Swimathon will be diving head-first into another charity fund-raising venture next March, when teams of swimmers set off to help boost charities’ cash reserves.
Since 1988, the Purley Swimathon – organised by Purley Rotary – has helped to raise more than £500,000 for local charities and organisations. The 2020 Purley Swimathon will be held at Purley Leisure Centre on Saturdays March 7 and 14.
Teams of up to 10 swimmers have the opportunity to raise money for their favourite local charity or organisation.
Teams swim for a total of 55 minutes, with each team member swimming a length in turn (relay style). Over the two Saturdays, more than 40 teams take part.
The teams select their own charity or organisation to receive 60 per cent of the sponsorship money raised by their swimmers. The remaining 40 per cent goes to charities selected by Purley Rotary.
“Purley Swimathon, in its 33rd year, is a simple way for a group to raise money for a charity or organisation without having to organise an event of their own,” Tony Farrell, the co-ordinator, said.
“Swimmers aged from eight to 80-plus can take part and invite family and friends to join their team.”
For full details of how to enter a team, visit the Purley Rotary website at www.purleyrotary.com
- Inside Croydon: the only local news source based in the borough. Help to support our journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org