The choice of Croydon is a massive tribute to the high standards of music performance and excellence of the choir at the Minster.
There has been a church on the site in Croydon since Saxon times, and the original building was listed in the Domesday Book. The church is the final resting place for six Archbishops of Canterbury, because of Croydon’s close association with the Anglican church’s primates’ summer palace. But this will be the first time that what was, until 2011, known as Croydon Parish Church will have been used for such a prestigious piece of the Christmas broadcasting schedules.
According to an announcement by the Minster, “The service is open to everyone, but to ensure that everyone who wishes to attend can get a seat, tickets are being made available for collection from the church on Sundays.”
Tickets are free.
On the night of the Christmas service, the congregation will be asked to be seated at 11.15pm. The service is expected to last until around 1am.
- Inside Croydon: the only local news source based in the borough. Help to support our journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon Events: click here for details of hundreds of events in and around Croydon
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org