The Crystal Palace Festival has revealed that its headline acts next month will be Andrew Ashong and his band and John.
This year’s Crystal Palace Festival is being staged virtually because of coronavirus, live-streaming from a temporary television studio in the Upper Norwood Library over the weekend of August 15 and 16.
Ashong is a British-Ghanaian soul singer-songwriter, DJ and producer from Forest Hill, described by Paul Lester of The Guardian as “a hazy, jazzy dreamer of a young soul rebel who in his music references Roy Ayers and Shuggie Otis, Bill Withers and Marvin Gaye”. His single with Detroit tech/house master Theo Parrish, Flowers, was Gilles’ Peterson’s single of the year in 2013.
Playing on the Sunday night will be John, which the Festival organisers say “is a real coup”.
“Having proudly stated Crystal Palace on their biography for many years, John’s recent album “Out Here On The Fringes” was included in Rough Trade’s Top of 100 of 2019, with all three singles and a live BBC Maida Vale session finding regular rotation on the airwaves.”
The cover of their 2017 debut album “God Speed In The National Limit” features the dilapidated stage of the Crystal Palace Bowl as its somewhat dystopian muse.
John offer a deadpan approach that has become the recognisable trait of their live performance. Alongside the tight rhythmic synchronisation of guitar and drums, introspective lyrics suggest that literature and spoken word are just as important influences as the punk, noise and rock genres they might comfortably fit into.
The duo are also a favourite of Star Trek and Mission Impossible actor Simon Pegg, whi has described them as “Irresistibly catchy… big and loud and angry and great!”
The Festival organisers promise to make further line-up announcements soon.
- 2010 to 2020: Inside Croydon has been delivering local community service and local community news for 10 years. To support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019