Inside Croydon, in conjunction with publishers Pen and Sword Books and award-winning author Anton Rippon, are delighted to be able to offer two copies of his latest book in an exclusive competition for this website’s subscribers.
And all readers can get 25 per cent off the price of Britain 1940: The Decisive Year On The Home Front in another terrific value offer.
That Luftwaffe raid was effectively the first of an eight-month airborne Blitz on London, and its impact was probably lessened because of the intervention of nine Hurricanes fighter aircraft from 111 Squadron, based at RAF Croydon.
Five airmen from 11 Squadron and one from the station headquarters were killed – but it was the civilian population that bore the brunt of the raid. Several factories and houses were hit, killing 62 civilians and injuring 185.
Rippon’s book provides a fascinating insight into life on the home front during those tough months 80 years ago that saw the retreat from Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.
Inside Croydon readers can get 25 per cent off the price of Britain 1940: The decisive year on the home front. Just click here to order the book directly from the publishers, and use PEN40 as your special discount code. Post and packing is free. The offer is for a limited time only and expires on Friday, October 16, 2020.
Inside Croydon’s patrons, who pay $5 per month – or $56 per year – to help support our award-winning, independent and news-breaking coverage of all things local, also have a chance to win a copy of Rippon’s latest work, signed by the author.
We have two copies to give away to the winners of this simple competition.
To be able to enter this quiz, you must be signed up as an Inside Croydon patron. Click here to visit our Patreon page and sign up today.
The first two correct entries taken from the Editor’s hat after the closing date of midday on October 16 will be declared the winners.
The question is…
Who was Croydon’s Borough Clerk at the time of the first air raid on the borough on August 15, 1940?
Email your answers, together with your name, address and daytime contact phone number, and with “Britain 1940” in the subject field, to firstname.lastname@example.org before our deadline.
To sign up to become an Inside Croydon patron, and discover more about the money-saving special offers you qualify for while also supporting this website’s ground-breaking journalism, just click here.
There are no alternative prizes, and Inside Croydon usual competition Ts & Cs apply.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019