This recipe for pumpkin soup is easy, quick and entirely veggie. And you don’t have to use it only at Hallowe’en.
Preparation time: less than 30min
Cooking time: 30min to 1hr
What you’ll need…
2 large onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaf
1oz-2oz unsalted butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium pumpkin (prepared weight about 2lb) deseeded and roughly chopped
1 medium-sized potato, roughly chopped
1¾ pint vegetable stock, a little extra may be needed
3½fl oz double cream
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the onion, carrots, garlic bay leaf, butter and half the olive oil into a large pan. Cook over a low–medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not coloured.
Add the pumpkin and potato, mix to combine and cook for a further 2–3 minutes. Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, half cover the pan with a lid and continue to cook for about 40 minutes until the pumpkin is soft right through when tested with the point of a knife.
Pick out the bay leaf and blend the soup until smooth using a stick blender.
Add the cream and a little more stock if the soup is on the thick side, taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as required.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the pumpkin seeds and fry quickly until the seeds start to pop. Remove from the pan.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with a swirl of cream and the toasted pumpkin seeds.
Remember… Pumpkins vary considerably in flavour and sweetness. A large pumpkin will almost always have more water and less flavour than a smaller pumpkin.
You can also make this hearty winter soup with roast butternut squash, reducing the simmering time to 15 minutes, just so the potato is cooked through.
- 2010 to 2020: Inside Croydon has been delivering local community service and local community news for 10 years. To support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019