The NHS in South West London, including Croydon, has announced the appointment of Dr Gloria Rowland as Chief Nurse.
Previously Director of Midwifery at Barts Health NHS Trust, the country’s largest maternity service, Dr Rowland has been recognised by for her “outstanding practice in the leadership and drive shown” to improve midwifery services in a report from the Care Quality Commission.
First trained as a registered nurse and midwife in Nigeria, Dr Rowland relocated to Britain to continue her nursing career, where she has gained further qualifications in BSc Midwifery, MSc Community Public Health Specialist Practitioner and doctorate in Clinical Practice.
Both a Mary Seacole and a Florence Nightingale Scholar, Dr Rowland has won national awards for her work in transforming maternity care.
She was the first Black African director of midwifery in the history of maternity services in the UK and has also recently been appointed to the Chief Nursing Officer’s national advisor group in response to covid-19.
Dr Rowland will take up the position of Chief Nurse at both South West London Health and Care Partnership and South West London CCG from early January 2021.
“I’m looking forward to working with colleagues to strengthen professional nursing leadership across the system and to help improve services and health outcomes for the people we care for,” Dr Rowland said.
- 2010 to 2020: Inside Croydon has been delivering local community service and local community news for 10 years. To support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019