UNDER THE FLYOVER: In the latest episode of Inside Croydon’s podcast strand, ELLA HOPKINS interviews Mike Springer, the founder of Big Mike’s Calypso Kitchen, about how the Croydon community helped to save his fledgeling business in the middle of the covid-19 lockdown, and the massive charity efforts he has undertaken to give something back
Big Mike’s Calypso Kitchen opened in Boxpark last July, with Mike Springer and his business partner staking their life savings on the project. Weeks later, they were told to shut up shop as the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic swept through London.
Hear how Big Mike pivoted his business to cope with the changed circumstances, in his battle for survival, and how he has been giving something back to the Croydon community that saved him, through homeless charity Croydon Nightwatch and an innovative use of fish balls to fight testicular cancer.
And take advantage of our special reader offer, with 10 per cent off food order collections from now until June 15. Click here for full details.
- You can support Inside Croydon’s news-breaking independent local journalism. Sign up today as a subscriber. Click here
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named the country’s rottenest borough in 2020 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine – the fourth successive year that Inside Croydon has been the source for such award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3million page views in 2020. Seen by 1.4million unique visitors