Police are investigating the “unexpected” death of a man whose body was found on Station Road, near Norwood Junction Station, shortly after dawn on Sunday morning.
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called just after 5.30am on Sunday, August 7, “after concerns were raised for the wellbeing of a person who had been found unresponsive,” a Scotland Yard spokeswoman told Inside Croydon.
The man, believed to be in his 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There has been some speculation among locals that the dead man may have run a business in the area, though police refused to confirm or deny this.
“His death is being treated as unexpected and is under investigation,” the spokeswoman said.
“A special post-mortem will take place in due course.”
The police are appealling for witnesses. “Anyone who was in the area in the early hours of Sunday morning and who witnessed anything unusual or otherwise related to this incident should call 101, providing the reference 1586/07AUG.”
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- By having a comment section, we provide all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content. Details of how this works can be read by clicking here
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- Inside Croydon: 3.3million page views in 2021. Seen by 1.6million unique visitors in that 12-month period