The London Fire Brigade has issued an electrical safety reminder after a house fire on Hayes Lane in Kenley overnight.
Part of the ground floor of the detached house was damaged by fire.
Firefighters assisted a woman from the building, who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by resistive heating in an extension lead.
A LFB spokesperson said: “Overloaded sockets are one of the most common causes of electrical fires. Some electrical appliances use more power than others, so be mindful not to overload extension leads and always check that you’re using the right fuse for the plug.”
The Brigade was called at 00.43am and the fire was under control by 1,08am. Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Purley and Croydon fire stations attended the scene.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content. Our comments policy can be read by clicking here
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London