The police have begun a murder investigation after a man, in his 20s, was shot dead on Croydon Road, Mitcham, close to the junction with Beddington Lane, in the early hours of this morning.
The Met Police said it was called at about 02.25am. The man was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service but died a short time later.
The Met say a crime scene remained in place and no arrests had been made.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Enquiries are ongoing to inform next of kin.
“At this early stage it is believed the man had suffered a gunshot injury.”
Passersby in and around the Croydon Road and Beddington Lane area on Monday night who saw anything suspicious are urged to get in contact with police.
Motorists with dash cams are asked to check their footage to see if anything relevant to the inquiry has been captured.
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting CAD616/4Apr, or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine