Children aged from four to 11 could win fabulous prizes for taking part in this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, being run throughout Croydon’s libraries, starting today.
The Reading Agency has partnered with the Youth Sport Trust for this year’s theme – Ready, Set, Read! – encouraging children to experience the thrill of sports and the power of teamwork through reading.
Taking part in the challenge and registration are simple – children can visit their local library (on the limited occasions when most of them are open: check your local library details by clicking here) and start their adventure by reading six books throughout the summer.
“Each participant will receive a fold-out poster and can collect stickers along the way to track their progress,” the council says. You can visit the registration page online by clicking here.
Croydon’s libraries are also holding a prize draw, open to all who successfully complete the challenge. The prizes include:
- A Kindle tablet
- A family ticket to Godstone Farm
- A voucher for Flip Out Croydon
- A session at Croydon’s indoor climbing facility – CroyWall
- An exclusive tour of Selhurst Park
Young people can choose any books to count towards the Summer Reading Challenge.
Factual, fiction, poetry, graphic novels, joke books – the choice is endless. Audiobooks and ebooks count, too.
Croydon Libraries have a large collection of printed, audio, and digital books that are free to borrow for anyone with a library card.
If you don’t have one, visit your local library or the council website to register.
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- As featured on Google News Showcase
- We offer FREE ads to community groups when they have members who are paid subscribers to Inside Croydon
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine