After the success of their debut production, The Spread Eagle Theatre will next month play host to a Victorian freak show.
Critically acclaimed Tin Shed Theatre Company present Mary Shelley’s classic horror, Frankenstein, like never before, immersed in the twisted and debauched world of a Victorian travelling freak show, playing at the new pub studio theatre space from November 5 to 8. Expect fireworks!
Through the depraved eyes of one cynical raconteur and his faithful gaggle of gormless goons (the producers assure us that none have been plucked from the obscurity of Croydon Town Hall), Shelley’s story is retold by the ring leader and his freaks, the bearded lady, half lobster-half man, an Amazonian ape lady and Dr Frankenstein’s Creature himself.
Using a mix of puppetry, projections and physical theatre, Dr Frankenstein’s Travelling Freakshow treads the thin line between hilarity and morality in Tin Shed’s darkly comic and sickly twisted production.
This is the second production at The Spread Eagle Theatre, a new pub theatre in the centre of Croydon specialising in new writing. It is the second theatre in Fuller’s Brewery’s stable of professional pub theatres, after The Old Joint Stock Theatre in Birmingham.
- To book tickets for Dr Frankenstein’s Travelling Freakshow, visit the Spread Eagle Theatre’s website
- Read Bella Bartock’s review of The Spread Eagle Theatre’s opening night: Waspishness, whisky and gonorrhea: a good night in Croydon
Coming to Croydon
- Lakes Playground group’s fundraising Zumba-ween: Oct 26
- PJ’s enterprising look at Black History Month: Oct 29
- The Railway Children: Oct 30-Nov 2
- St Giles School open morning: Nov 13
- Secret Love at the Ashcroft Theatre: Nov 14
- Future Tech City: Nov 30
- Comedy in Music show: Dec 1
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org