Metal Monkey Theatre, in association with the Croydon Operatic and Dramatic Association (CODA), is staging a production of Michael Morpurgo’s award-winning First World War story, Private Peaceful, at the Charles Cryer Studio Theatre in Carshalton this month.
Over the course of one tense night in Flanders in 1916, Private Thomas “Tommo” Peaceful recalls his upbringing in rural Devon and his life with his brother and the woman they both loved. He recounts the battles and injustices of war that brought him to the front line, until the fateful day when his brother’s life is at risk. The seconds tick down towards dawn, when Tommo’s world will change forever…
The play is a moving, gripping and unforgettable theatrical experience, as one actor takes on the role of more than 20 characters to tell Tommo’s story.
Private Peaceful is directed by Michael Hall, who directed CODA’s sell-out and critically acclaimed production of The Railway Children last year, and stars Miles Jovian as Tommo.
Private Peaceful is most suitable for ages 8+.
CODA was founded in 1943, and is Croydon’s leading community theatre company, performing both musicals and plays, concerts and Old Time Music Halls to a highly professional standard. Metal Monkey Theatre has produced One Touch of Venus and the sketch show at the Edinburgh Fringe.
Michael Morpurgo is the former Children’s Laureate, and author of more than 120 books. He is best known for his book War Horse, which has been memorably adapted for both stage and screen.
Morpurgo’s book has been adapted for the stage by Simon Reade, the former artistic director of the Bristol Old Vic and literary manager of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Private Peaceful runs from Wednesday April 23 to Saturday April 26 at the Charles Cryer Studio Theatre, High Street, Carshalton, SM5 3BB, with evening performances at 7.45pm and a matinee at 3pm on April 26.
- Tickets cost £12 for adults, £10 for children and £11 for all other concessions (including a £1 booking fee on all tickets) and may be booked at www.suttontheatres.co.uk, by calling 0208 770 6990 or in person at the Charles Cryer box office
Coming to Croydon
- David Lean Cinema: The Great Beauty, Apr 10
- Norwood Society Talk: Crystal Palace, Apr 17
- David Lean Cinema: Inside Llewyn Davis, Apr 17
- Opening of Marlpit Lane bowling and putting greens, Apr 17
- Arts and Crafts Market, Exchange Square, Apr 19
- David Lean Cinema: Short Term, Apr 24
- Norwood Society Talk: West Norwood – a place of change, May 15
- Croydon RFC charity memorial day, May 17
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com