The Save the David Lean Cinema Campaign is to screen Basically Johnny Moped at the South Norwood Arts Festival on July 8.
The film is highly recommended.
There is not a more Croydon movie than Basically Johnny Moped, the warts-and-all, bittersweet documentary, lovingly told by director Fred Burns, the son of local folk hero Captain Sensible, aka Raymond Burns, who makes regular appearances in the narrative of the film through his punk era alter ego.
The film was used to mark the re-opening of the David Lean Cinema in April. Read our report of that event and review of the film here.
Next month’s screening will be at the Harris Academy South Norwood – or formerly the Stanley Tech of Captain Sensible fame – and tickets are £5 in advance (£6 on the night).
The cinema campaigners “hope to have a Q&A with at least one guest”… Who could it be?
“It’s a superb documentary, full of local characters, places and great music. If you missed it at the David Lean, you have another chance. If you didn’t miss it, you probably want to see it again,” the organisers say, with good reason.
Coming to Croydon
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- Metamono Secrets of Nature, Upper Norwood, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com