The Reading Agency and Croydon Libraries are working together to present a Summer Reading Challenge, based on mythical characters from books, with a £100-worth of books on offer for Croydon schools that take part.
“The challenge is to read six library books. As you read you’ll meet some larger than life characters from myths and legends. Keep track of your amazing adventure on your fold-up poster with stickers from your local library. Complete the challenge and be rewarded with a certificate and medal and other incentives along the way,” says the blurb.
The challenge runs from this Saturday, July 12, until September 13. It is free to take part.
All Croydon libraries will also be running activities so please ask for details at your local
A £100 prize to be spent on books is also being awarded to the Croydon school with the highest percentage of pupils completing the Summer Reading Challenge.
Coming to Croydon
- South Norwood Arts Festival, July 5-20
- Croydon Folk and Blues Festival, July 12
- David Lean Cinema: Half of a Yellow Sun, July 17
- Love Norbury launch event, July 19
- David Lean Cinema: Pantani: Accidental Death of a Cyclist, July 21
- David Lean Cinema: Tracks, July 24
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- David Lean Cinema: Locke, July 31
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org