The Spread Eagle Theatre’s summer season comes to a close this week with a production of an acclaimed, but also disturbing, new play, Fragile.
The Katharine Street pub theatre’s partner company, Birmingham’s Old Joint Stock Theatre, presents Geoff Thompson’s chilling new semi-autobiographical drama which charts a broken man’s journey through abuse, reconciliation and redemption. Nigel Francis plays “One” – abandoned and alone, he tells his story to a tape recorder in the hope of finding peace.
Francis has previously worked with Maximilian Schell, Mathew Modine, Liliane Montevecchi, Neve Campbell, James Fox and also under the direction of Robert Altman, Kevin Spacey, Tommy Tune and Tony Kaye.
BAFTA-winning writer Thompson’s works include 40 books (published in 21 languages), five multi-award-winning films, and three stage plays. His autobiography Watch My Back was adapted into a motion picture Clubbed. He has also adapted his first novel, Red Mist, into a feature film for cinema.
- Fragile runs at the Spread Eagle from Thursday, July 24, to Saturday, July 26. Tickets are just £10. For more information and bookings, click here
Coming to Croydon
- David Lean Cinema: Tracks, July 24
- Lives Not Knives beer fund-raiser, July 24
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- David Lean Cinema: Locke, July 31
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Aug 2
- Patchwork and quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, Aug 4
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 6
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 13
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Aug 16
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 20
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 27
- Upper Norwood Library well-being groups, Aug 30
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com