As Norwood is soon to have a third new fire station, Bob Callender of the South London Theatre Centre tells the story of West Norwood’s original fire station and reveals how a Heritage Lottery Fund grant will enable this theatre to flourish in the heart of the community.
A preliminary Lottery grant of £157,800 was agreed last year towards a project estimated to cost £2.3 million, of which the HLF is expected to provide £1.8 million, with a range of other organisations, including City Bridge Trust (which supports access for people with disabilities), the Garfield Weston Foundation (which supports arts and community projects), and the Clore Duffield Foundation (arts and education) contributing towards the cost.
The local history talks are held on the third Thursday of the month at the Upper Norwood Library, Westow Hill, SE19 1TJ.
Entry is free, but a donation towards the cost of tea and cakes would be appreciated.
Coming to Croydon
- Fancy dress family funday, Sep 28
- Ukrainian choir concert, St John’s Shirley, Sep 29
- Tree Sides, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 2-4
- The Goon Show, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 8-11
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- South Croydon business breakfast, Oct 18
- Croydon 10km road race, Oct 19
- This Was The World and I Was King, Spread Eagle, Oct 23-25
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, 2.30pm, Oct 25
- CODA’s Wind In The Willows, Charles Cryer, Carshalton, Oct 29-Nov 1
- Albert Einstein – Relativity Speaking, Spread Eagle, Nov 12-15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Nov 15
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org