A top men’s choir from Ukraine is coming to Croydon and will be singing at St John’s Church, Shirley, on Monday September 29.
The Boyan Ensemble is from Kiev, its members drawn from Ukraine’s leading professional singers. Most are relieved to be escaping the conflict with Russia that threatens to engulf the country. Many choir members have already lost income from teaching or singing as a result of Ukraine’s dire financial situation. When in Croydon, they are being hosted by the Croydon Male Voice Choir.
The Boyan Ensemble’s repertoire ranges from traditional folk songs to sacred music from Ukraine, Russia, Georgia and other Slavonic sources. It includes the renowned chants of the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, dating back to the 11th century. Renowned for their spine-tingling choral techniques, the choir has broadcast on Classic FM and BBC Radio 3. This will be its 22nd UK tour.
It stages its performance in a dramatic setting, coming on stage by candlelight. Three songs feature the work of the poet Taras Shevchenko, a national hero whose bicentenary is being celebrated this year.
The choir’s appearance in Croydon opens a 22-date tour at venues from Truro Cathedral in Cornwall to Elgin and Dumfries in Scotland. It has traditionally been supported by local enthusiasts in each location.
The Croydon Male Voice Choir stepped in this year when the previous Croydon backers withdrew. Croydon choir members who saw the Boyan perform last year were moved by its delicate pianissimos, its breath-taking fortes and its profound bass resonances.
“We are delighted to support this fine choir,” Kimball Ormond, the CMVC chair, said, “particular when things are so difficult for them at home.”
The choir travels from Ukraine by bus and will be leaving for the UK a few days ahead of the Croydon performance. “All of us are working hard on the tour programme,” said Boyan singer Misha Babych. “We are impatient to perform for our friends and fans in the UK.”
The Shirley concert on September 29 starts at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £18 for adults, £9 for children. You can book in advance by sending a cheque plus SAE to the CMVC’s Dick Jones, 111 Chaldon Way, Coulsdon CR5 1DN. For more information: 01737 554 556 or email@example.com
- Exclusive readers’ offer: a free glass of wine for diners at Albert’s Table
- Special readers’ offer: 25% off meals at PizzaExpress Purley
Coming to Croydon
- Tell Me About Your Ex, Spread Eagle Theatre, Sep 9-13
- David Lean Cinema: Camille Claudel, Sep 11
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Soul Symphony Community Choir sessions, Sep 16-Dec 23
- Police question time, LNK at Centrale, Sep 17
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- David Lean Cinema: Chef, Sep 18
- The Complete History of the BBC – Abridged, Spread Eagle, Sep 19-20
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- South Croydon business breakfast, Sep 20
- Open House London weekend, Sep 20-21
- David Lean Cinema: A Night At The Cinema in 1914, Sep 22
- Activity to Work back-to-work workshops, Sep 23
- David Lean Cinema: Jimmy’s Hall, Sep 25
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Fancy dress family funday, Sep 28
- Tree Sides, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 2-4
- The Goon Show, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 8-11
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- South Croydon business breakfast, Oct 18
- This Was The World and I Was King, Spread Eagle, Oct 23-25
- Albert Einstein – Relativity Speaking, Spread Eagle, Nov 12-15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Nov 15
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org