A group of around 40 teachers, staff and friends from Fairchildes Primary are running in this month’s Croydon 10km road race to raise money for one of their pupils to have a life-changing operation in the United States.
Malachi Reid is 10 years old and has cerebral palsy. He has been accepted to have an operation called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) to improve his mobility and which could even allow him the chance to walk unaided. SDR operations are not available on the NHS as this is a new procedure in Britain and is not available to someone of Malachi’s age.
The runners are trying to help Malachi’s family get close to the £80,000 needed to cover the cost of the operation and all of the intensive physiotherapy that he will need.
The Croydon 10km, sponsored by Lexus and organised by Croydon Harriers, takes place on October 19.
The race starts at Lloyd Park Avenue before heading out to Sandilands and the surrounding area. Entries are still open, for serious road runners and fun runners alike.
Prizes are on offer for all age groups from junior men and women to veterans aged 80-plus.
There is also a 3km fun run for nine- to 14-year-olds.
- To donate to the Malachi Reid appeal, please go to:
Or text MALA81 (£1- £10) to 70070. You can also add gift aid, if you’re a UK tax payer
Coming to Croydon
- David Lean Cinema: Bright Days Ahead, Oct 2
- Tree Sides, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 2-4
- Croydon Fun Palace, Whitgift Centre, Oct 4-5
- East Croydon community meeting, Oct 7
- The Goon Show, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 8-11
- David Lean Cinema: Boyhood, Oct 9
- David Lean Cinema: Grand Central, Oct 14
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- David Lean Cinema: Finding Vivian Maier, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- South Croydon business breakfast, Oct 18
- David Lean Cinema: Mood Indigo, Oct 23
- This Was The World and I Was King, Spread Eagle, Oct 23-25
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, 2.30pm, Oct 25
- David Lean Cinema: Ilo Ilo, Oct 28
- CODA’s Wind In The Willows, Charles Cryer, Carshalton, Oct 29-Nov 1
- David Lean Cinema: Belle, Oct 30
- Albert Einstein – Relativity Speaking, Spread Eagle, Nov 12-15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Nov 15
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org