Looking for a quick, tasty lunch with friends, where you get rapid service?
EBONY GORDON has found just the place
Want to go out for a lunch or dining experience in Croydon town centre, and be guilt-free by managing to get all your five-a-day in a glass?
That’s what Wagamama on Park Lane offers.
The chain of Japanese-influenced restaurants has become a familiar sight on our high streets over the past 20 years. But our local branch shouldn’t be taken for granted, and worth a second look.
Wagamama is a warm, welcoming environment, where steaming rice and noodles are whisked to diners at long communal tables. The customer service was wonderful, I was welcomed when I arrived, and given a choice of where to sit.
The menu consists of a variety of mainly Japanese dishes from rice to noodles, from chilli squid to duck pancakes.
The squid, fried in a batter, was great, not too chewy. The chilli coriander dipping sauce that came with it wasn’t too spicy either, just well-balanced, perfect for those who don’t like too much spice but also great for those who like their food to have a bit of bite.
The duck wraps, served with cucumber, Asian pancakes and cherry Hoisin sauce, were nicely presented. All the flavours complemented each other perfectly.
We also ordered a chicken katsu curry, which was beautifully presented. All the flavours complemented each other; there was no overpowering flavours. The curry was served with sticky rice and a side salad.
There is also a tempting selection of deserts, and choice of drinks from fresh juices to soft drinks, beers, wine and hot drinks available.
I chose something called positive juice, a (alcohol-free) cocktail of pineapple, lime, spinach, cucumber and apple – enough to ensure I had my five portions of fruit and veg, and all in the one glass, though the juice could have been better chilled.
Wagamama Croydon has a good atmosphere for lunch or a dinner date. The wait for your food, even during a busy lunch hour, is not long, with the food arriving within 20 minutes of ordering.
I would also recommend it for somewhere to go for dinner. Its great for big groups of people as they have big enough tables and good for just two people or even if you’re going on your own.
- Wagamama Croydon is open Mondays to Thursdays from 11am – 10pm and Fridays and Saturdays from 11am – 11pm and on Sundays from 12pm – 10pm
- In line with proper, ethical journalistic principles, Ebony Gordon’s meal was paid for by Inside Croydon, and no freebies accepted from Wagamama
- HELP KEEP INSIDE CROYDON ONLINE: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org