It could get a little awkward at Swedish retailer IKEA at around 3pm tomorrow afternoon, so ahead of England’s World Cup big match with Sweden, the store in Valley Park, off the Purley Way, is running a two-for-one offer where, they say, “you can enjoy one of each nation’s signature dish”.
The “Plate of Two Halves” allows visitors to combine Swedish meatballs (or the veggie option) with the English staple of fish and chips, “to make sure fans don’t have to pick a side when it comes to their taste buds”, the company says.
The dishes will be available in all IKEA stores in Britain tomorrow, July 7, all day from 11am.
The day after the game, Sunday, July 8, IKEA will be offering a “Lunch of Champions” with the meal associated with the winning teams offered for just £1 for the full day in celebration – though it’s fair to say that if Harry Kane’s boys don’t manage to win through to the World Cup semi-final, Swedish meatballs could prove hard to swallow for a very long time…
“We are very proud that our two nations are in the quarter-finals this weekend but have been finding it hard to choose between them,” said Joakim Haby, an IKEA employee working in London.
“To make sure our customers don’t have to pick a side and to celebrate the match, we’ve combined the two most iconic meals from each country into one delicious offer. So, whether you’re cheering on having a Jamie Vardy dinner party or a Filip Helander get-together, IKEA’s plate of two halves is the perfect match meal.”
Offers will be available on standard fish and chips and the 10 meatballs/veggie balls meals.
- HELP KEEP INSIDE CROYDON ONLINE: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org