Macmillan Cancer mobile information team will be parking up in Croydon town centre on Wednesday to encourage residents to be aware of the signs and symptoms of the disease during Lung Cancer Awareness Month this November.
Melissa Foley, a Macmillan lung cancer clinical nurse specialist working in London said: “Thankfully lung cancer survival rates are improving, but we know that the most effective way of combating it is through stopping smoking and earlier diagnosis. The Macmillan Mobile Information Service provides invaluable advice and support at a local level, while raising awareness of lung cancer and many other cancer-related issues.
“Thanks to the support of Macmillan, we as a team can assist patients and families, helping them navigate through the sometimes difficult times, to achieve the best quality of life and outcomes of treatment.”
Lung cancer is common in both men and women, with around 46,400 cases diagnosed every year. Smoking cigarettes is the main cause of lung cancer, but non-smokers get it too. More than 4 in 10 people (44%) who are diagnosed with lung cancer in the UK are aged 75 and over.
The most common symptoms of lung cancer are:
• A cough that lasts for three weeks or more.
• A change in a cough you have had for a long time.
• A chest infection that doesn’t get better or having repeated chest infections.
• Feeling breathless and wheezy for no reason.
• Coughing up blood.
• A hoarse voice that lasts for three weeks or more.
• Pain in your chest or shoulder that doesn’t get better
Many people with these symptoms will most likely not have lung cancer, they can be caused by other things. But knowing what changes to look for and when to see your doctor could make a real difference.
The Macmillan advice bus will be at 1 North End (outside Barclays), Croydon, CR0 1UG
from 10,30am to 5.30pm on November 7.
If you are unable to visit the unit but have questions about cancer, visit www.macmillan.org.uk or call Macmillan free on 0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
You can find out about Macmillan services near you at http://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/choose-location.html
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com