The Croydon Philharmonic Choir is performing a special Christmas concert in Park Hill on Monday night, when they will be with one of their newest “recruits”: Bernadette Khan, the Mayor of Croydon.
Cllr Khan and her husband, Qaiyum, were present at a hour-long carol concert given by the choir in Croydon Town Centre last Sunday
Croydon’s Mayor is a keen follower of choral singing. She said afterwards that the choir’s singing was “wonderful”.
The choir’s one-hour set at Boxpark featured a dozen popular carols and Christmas songs, ending with an enthusiastic crowd joining the Mayor in singing the half-dozen audience numbers.
The choir staged the event in support of the South East Cancer Help Centre, a Purley-based charity which provides support for local cancer patients and their families.
A collection at the concert raised more than £100 for the centre, whose fundraiser Wendy Ager thanked the choir and audience for their generosity.
The Mayor of Croydon said she particularly enjoyed “All Come All Ye Faithful”, and she will be a guest at the choir’s Christmas Cheer concert at St Matthew’s, East Croydon, on Monday December 17. “I’m looking forward to it,” she said.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org