In an exclusive money-off offer for Inside Croydon supporters, you can save 20 per cent off the cost of the definitive book on the controversial, £17billion Crossrail project, written by the country’s foremost railway historian.
The Story of Crossrail is the biography of London’s newest railway line, which is now not due to be fully operational until 2020, two years behind schedule.
The book is the painstakingly compiled narrative by transport journalist Christian Wolmar, who has been described by The Guardian as “Our leading writer on the railways.”
The Times says Wolmar “is Britain’s foremost railway historian”.
And Inside Croydon Patrons can now order a signed copy of his latest book for £16 – £4 off the price in bookshops.
In The Story of Crossrail, Wolmar details a history that stretches back to the time of Churchill and Attlee, and explains how it took the creation of the new role of Mayor for London to ensure that finally it was given the go ahead. From Reading and Heathrow in the west, the Elizabeth Line will extend to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east, including 26 miles of new tunnels dug under central London.
The book combines tales of political intrigue with the fascinating social history of how the line came to be developed and built. Wolmar explains that despite the delays, Londoners will be amazed by the new railway which has 200-metre long trains capable of carrying 1,500 people, air conditioning and 10 amazing new stations.
A shrewdly incisive observer of postwar transport policy, Wolmar pays due credit to the remarkable achievement of Crossrail, while analysing in clear-eyed fashion the many setbacks it encountered en route to completion.
To order your copy of The Story of Crossrail at the special discounted price, you must be a supporter of Inside Croydon.
For £5 per month, Patrons provide vital financial support for the award-winning, campaigning journalism which Inside Croydon delivers daily.
Patrons will be sent, by direct message, the discount code and instructions of how to order their copy of The Story of Crossrail.
- Inside Croydon Patrons: time is running out to enter our free competition for a chance to win a copy of the tear-jerking true-life Croydon story The Shadow Of The Teapot. Click here
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com