The German invasion of Britain took place in 1940 after the retreat from Dunkirk. After months of fierce resistance and brutal reprisals, the occupying forces manage to restore order, largely suppressing the resistance movement.
However, due to demands from the Ural Mountains front, most German troops are eventually removed from Western Europe, and the garrisoning of Britain is largely carried out by local volunteers to the German army and the SS.
So begins the film It Happened Here, which is the next screening to take place at the Ruskin House Film Club on Friday, October 18, from 7.30pm, and which includes a Q&A session with director Kevin Brownlow.
It Happened Here is a black-and-white film made in 1964 – so pre-dating Robert Harris’s Fatherland novel by three decades – which was written, produced and directed by Kevin Brownlow and Andrew Mollo. They began work on the film as teenagers, and using a largely amateur cast with some support from professional filmmakers, it took them eight years to complete.
- Inside Croydon has been digging out the news stories that those in power don’t want you to know about since 2010. Help us continue to do that, and for £5 per month get access to our Under The Flyover podcast, plus benefit from money-off offers and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For two consecutive years, 2017 and 2018, Inside Croydon has been the source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- In 2018, Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by more than half a million unique visitors
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org