A long-serving and much-admired Croydon GP has died from coronavirus.
Dr Krishan Arora was 57 and had worked at the Violet Lane Medical Practice in Waddon for 27 years.
Croydon Clinical Commissioning Group confirmed that Dr Arora “tested positive for covid-19”, adding that “He was not at work in the time before he died.”
The CCG said, “Dr Krish followed national guidance and self-isolated at home when he developed symptoms.”
Dr Arora is thought to be the first NHS doctor in Croydon to succumb to the virus; there have been more than 1,000 cases of covid-19 reported in the borough.
Dr Arora was known to suffer from asthma, one of the conditions known to make people more vulnerable to coronavirus.
A brief notice appeared at the Violet Lane practice yesterday: “Dear Patients, It is with great sadness that the practice has to inform you Dr Krishan Arora died on April 15. Dr Arora had been at Violet Lane Medical Practice since 1993, he will be sadly missed by his colleagues and his patients.
“Our condolences go out to his wife and family at this sad time.”
And Dr Agnelo Fernandes, GP borough lead for Croydon, said, “We are all greatly saddened by the death of Dr Krishan Arora. Krish was extremely well-liked and worked tirelessly to care for his patients and improve services for everyone in Croydon.
“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Krish’s family, friends and close colleagues at this difficult time. We will miss him.”
- Help support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019