Crystal Palace can rest easy in the assurance that, on this occasion at least, they are guaranteed to be Gary Lineker’s first match up on Match Of The Day.
That’s because when the football season resumes, Roy Hodgson’s Eagles will be the only match on the programme, playing in the first Premier League game to be shown live by the BBC when they meet Bournemouth for an evening game on June 20.
The BBC has held highlights package rights to top-flight English football since the first Premier League season started in August 1992. But they have never before shown a Premier League match live.
The first details of the re-arranged fixtures for the end of the 2019-2020 season in the top-tier of English football were released last night, including some games free-to-air.
With all matches being played “behind closed doors” to avoid the risk of covid-19 contagion among fans, and to clear up the backlog of fixtures, it has been agreed that Premier League and FA Cup games will be shared among Sky Sports, BT Sport and the Beeb, plus Amazon and the Freeview channel Pick (channel 11), where Sky will be showing 25 matches free-to-air.
Palace’s game against Burnley on June 29 (8pm kick-off) will be streamed free by Amazon.
All fixtures and times announced so far are still provisional.
- This piece of local news reporting was brought to you without a penny of subsidy from the BBC or any local councils. If you want to support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019