An American health insurance giant which has been described by the Daily Mail as “a profit greedy” company is about to take over seven GP surgeries in Croydon.
Centene, through Operose Health, its UK subsidiary, has been taking over GP surgeries and practices in London and across the country for many years.
Centene has recently taken over AT Medics, a primary care provider responsible for 49 GP surgeries and more than 370,000 patients in the Greater London area. Seven of those GP practices are in Croydon.
According to campaign group WeOwnIt, “With a total of 70 GP surgeries and practices, Centene is almost certainly the largest single provider of NHS primary care in England.
“This is shocking.”
The Croydon health practices which are subject of the latest Centene takeover are:
- Fieldway Medical Centre, 15a Danebury, CR0 9EU
- GP Hub Central Croydon, Brickwood Road, Croydon CR0 6UL
- AT Medics at Parkway Health Centre, Parkway, New Addington, CR0 0JA
- GP Hub Purley War Memorial Hospital, 856 Brighton Road, CR8 2YL
- Headley Drive Surgery, 117a Headley Drive, CR0 0QL
- Thornton Road Surgery, 299 Thornton Road, CR0 3EW
- Valley Park Surgery, Healthy Living Centre, Franklin Way, CR0 4YD
Before the new acquisitions Operose Health was already running GP practices in Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Luton and Birmingham, totalling 21 surgeries and practices.
- You can support Inside Croydon’s news-breaking independent local journalism. Sign up today as a subscriber. Click here
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named the country’s rottenest borough in 2020 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine – the fourth successive year that Inside Croydon has been the source for such award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3million page views in 2020. Seen by 1.4million unique visitors
- Content on this site is also licensed via Ping! News. To access content for copying in full or in part, please visit https://pingnews.uk/