There are a total of 28 candidates nominated across five Croydon wards for council by-elections to be held on May 6.
The by-elections have been called following the resignations of five councillors, including Tony Newman and Simon Hall, part of the discredited Labour leadership that has bankrupted the council and caused a national scandal over the appalling conditions of flats in a council block.
Like Labour, Tories and the Greens, the Liberal Democrats have managed to scramble together a full set of nominations across the five wards, including one former Labour councillor, Andrew Rendle.
Rendle is one of seven candidates, the most of any ward, standing in Woodside, Newman’s former stomping ground. Among them is Mark Samuel, a seemingly perpetual independent candidate in local elections, but one who has never (yet, at least) managed to secure election. This year, Samuel managed to nominate himself to stand in the five wards, before withdrawing from all but Woodside.
Woodside and South Norwood wards have both got candidates from a new political group, the Taking The Initiative Party – a party which took the initiative to pay for advertising billboards in the borough which managed to misspell the name of Croydon South MP Chris Philp.
Kenley ward has a candidate from the so-called Heritage Party, an off-shoot from UKIP established by London Assembly member David Kurten, while New Addington North has drawn a candidate from the BNP.
Here are the nomination papers:
Read more: ‘Council flats crisis has been heartbreaking, and cruel’
Read more: Tories include a proven liar among by-election candidates
Read more: Candidates’ tough task to shake off Labour reputation
Read more: Time to end borough’s ‘lazy’ political duopoly say Greens
- Help support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named the country’s rottenest borough in 2020 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine – the fourth successive year that Inside Croydon has been the source for such award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3million page views in 2020. Seen by 1.4million unique visitors