They said it couldn’t be done. Although, as “they” were Tory councillor Mario Creatura, aka the Coulsdon Grinch, nothing should be taken at face value.
Paid for, installed and plugged in, the lights are now up to brighten up the Brighton Road through into the New Year. And, at the weekend, they even had their special Christmas Shopping evening, with many local firms coming together to offer special Shop Local offers, plus mulled wine, mince pies, and more.
“So even though Yulefest was cancelled, in the last few days we have all come together to be able to offer this to the community,” Ashley Cooke, director of one of the businesses, Cozy Glow Candles, told Inside Croydon.
Cozy Glow Candles was among the donors and helped promote the new lights and move Coulsdon forward with a Shop Coulsdon Facebook and community social media pages.
Inside Croydon understands that among the businesses that have contributed towards the costs of Coulsdon’s Christmas lights are:
- Infohealth chemist
- Express Copy
- Pandora News
- The Light Bar
- Whitchers Financial
- Pristine Moments oven cleaning
- Admiral Minicabs
- Frames snooker club
- Puzzle Kitchens
- Precious Moments beauty salon, and
- Elearic property legal services
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named the country’s rottenest borough in 2020 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine – the fourth successive year that Inside Croydon has been the source for such award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3million page views in 2020. Seen by 1.4million unique visitors