Some 42 people had to be evacuated when fire broke out in a building in central Croydon last night, prompting the London Fire Brigade to issue another warning about the dangers of careless use of candles.
A small part of a two-roomed flat in a five-storey residential building on Lansdowne Road was damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.
“The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a candle,” the Brigade said today.
The Brigade was called at 11.05pm and the fire was under control by 11.49pm.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Croydon, Woodside, Norbury and Beckenham fire stations attended.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.
“Our best advice is to swap traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow our simple safety tips.”
Candle safety tips
- Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed
- These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over
- Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – curtains, furniture, clothes and hair
- Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
- Inside Croydon – as seen on TV! – has been delivering local community news since 2010. 3million page views per year in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- If you want real journalism, actually based in the borough, you should consider paying for it. Please sign up today. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content. Our comments policy can be read by clicking here
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine