Brigade sounds the alarm after house fire in Sutherland Road

A fire caused by an electrical fault in what emergency services described as “a consumer unit” damaged part of the ground floor of an end terrace house on Sutherland Road last night.

A woman who had evacuated the house before the arrival of firefighters was treated by the London Ambulance Service. No one was injured.

“There were no working smoke alarms in the property,” the London Fire Brigade noted in a statement issued this morning.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the incident at 7.10pm, and the fire was under control within an hour.

Fire crews from Croydon, Woodside and Mitcham fire stations were at the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident is a timely reminder about the importance of having smoke alarms in your home. Homes need multiple smoke alarms or you won’t be properly covered.

“As a minimum, you should have smoke alarms on every floor of your home – in the hallways and the rooms you use the most plus a heat alarm in the bathroom and kitchen.”

  • If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at
  • As featured on Google News Showcase
  • Our comments section on every report provides all readers with an immediate “right of reply” on all our content
  • ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named among the country’s rottenest boroughs for a SIXTH successive year in 2022 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine

About insidecroydon

News, views and analysis about the people of Croydon, their lives and political times in the diverse and most-populated borough in London. Based in Croydon and edited by Steven Downes. To contact us, please email
This entry was posted in Broad Green, London Fire Brigade and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Brigade sounds the alarm after house fire in Sutherland Road

  1. Roger Dowling says:

    A “Consumer Unit” is the standard term for what some may call the Fuse Box which would nowadays contain MCB’s (the modern equivalent of fuses). The electric supply meter feeds the Consumer Unit and all ring circuits in the premises are distributed from this point.

  2. Ian Kierans says:

    Why is it that in Croydon we are always hearing about properties having a fire being caused by poor wiring and without smoke or ”fire” alarms?

    The few around here have been due to poor landlords and them found to be failing to comply with regulations.

    Is this the same? Is it a freeholder facing a cost of living crisis and unable to afford decent protection? Maybe someone on limited benefits? Or a case of ignorance/negligence and a failure to understand the risks.

    Being honest with age and infirmity maintaining alarms is very difficult and can be costly especially when you have little knowledge of modern systems.

    Is it not time for the Brigade to look at themes overall and report those findings to the relavent enforcement authorities?

    Is it not time for those Authorities to tighten their processes and inspections to prevent the ”accidents” in the first place.

    It is likely that man at Adams Cafe would still be alive if that had been done prior.

Leave a Reply