Croydon High is delighted to announce that they are hosting an exciting musical event, Croydon High S’Cool, featuring Digby Fairweather on Friday June 13, from 7pm.
Fairweather has been a full-time jazz musician since 1977 and is very well-known and highly regarded in jazz circles. An inspiring and scintillating performer, Digby has more than 40 years’ experience playing in and leading a number of bands (including Digby’s Half Dozen where he toured and performed with the late George Melly and former Manfred Mann lead singer Paul Jones).
He has also long pursued a parallel career as a broadcaster and writer on jazz, writing the book How to Play the Trumpet and deputising on the radio for Humphrey Lyttelton on Best of Jazz.
In 2014, Fairweather continues to lead his Half Dozen (winners of the Best Small Group category at the 2012 British Jazz Awards) and to teach and perform as a soloist.
Croydon High is thrilled that Fairweather has agreed to run a Jazz Masterclass for some of their own talented musicians on the afternoon of June 13 and then to perform (with some special guests) at the concert at the school that evening.
The ticket price of £10 includes a welcome drink and delicious canapés. Guests are also very welcome to bring their own additional snacks and beverages of choice (alcoholic or otherwise) to enjoy while they listen to some truly great jazz.
- Tickets are available from the school – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book
Coming to Croydon
- St Giles’ primary school open morning, May 21
- David Lean Cinema: The Rocket, May 22
- Songs From The Ledge, Spread Eagle Theatre, May 23
- Greek Myths: stories and mask-making, May 27
- Howard Marks: Scholar, Smuggler, Prisoner, Scribe, May 29
- David Lean Cinema: Dallas Buyers Club, May 29
- Tales from Ancient Greece, Upper Norwood Library, May 29
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, May 31
- Stitch Pitch quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, June 2
- Croydon Tech City “summit”, June 6
- An Improvised Murder, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 7
- Crystal Palace Transition Town annual meeting, June 11
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details email@example.com