Thanks to local sponsors and funders, the organising team of volunteers behind the Crystal Palace Overground Festival next month have announced a jam-packed programme of events.
The combined £18,000 sponsorship has contributed enormously to the programming of the various festival hubs that make up the four-day festival from June 26 to 29.
Fringe events include an open-air film screening of Richard Ayoade’s debut feature Submarine, a night of short-film fun with Random Acts artists such as Turner nominee David Shrigley, 12foot6, Phil Mulloy, and ex-Lemon Jelly filmmaker Fred Deakin, and a special film score performance and light show from analogue synthesizer group Metamono.
Noreen Meehan, the festival director, said: “Without the support of our sponsors and funders the Crystal Palace Overground Festival wouldn’t be the huge success it is today and we are excited to announce what is set to be our biggest and best festival to date.”
Saturday June 28 sees the Westow Park festival extravaganza during the day featuring food and craft stalls, kids and lifestyle zones and the best in up and music talent, festival surprises and some very special guests!
The festival finale on Sunday June 29 will see the Crystal Palace triangle area come alive with special events including the return of the classical and avant garde music concert Soundtracks to Crystal Palace railway station, a much bigger Vintage Up the Palace event in Crystal Palace park garden and a local and global music hub at Antenna Studios.
The Crystal Palace Overground Festival was launched in 2007 by the Crystal Palace Triangle traders and has gone from strength to strength after its expansion to Westow Park four years ago.
This year’s festival will feature food from all parts of the world, vintage bargains for savvy shoppers, eclectic music, comedy and film, fun family workshops and activities in art, theatre, music and sports and a chance to discover the rich heritage of this part of London.
- For the full programme of events, please visit the festival website www.crystalpalacefestival.org.
Coming to Croydon
- Greek Myths: stories and mask-making, May 27
- Weenies meet artist Hale Man, Whitgift centre, May 27-28
- The Information Project Crystal Palace debate, May 28
- Howard Marks: Scholar, Smuggler, Prisoner, Scribe, May 29
- David Lean Cinema: Dallas Buyers Club, May 29
- Tales from Ancient Greece, Upper Norwood Library, May 29
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, May 31
- Junction Road Big Lunch, June 1
- Stitch Pitch quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, June 2
- Croydon Tech City “summit”, June 6
- An Improvised Murder, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 7
- Crystal Palace Transition Town annual meeting, June 11
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com