The three councillors elected for Ashburton ward on Thursday have asked us to publish this open letter to local residents
Election day and the very long night that followed was an historic time for the Labour Party team in Ashburton.
Not only did we return three hard-working Labour councillors in a ward that has always been Conservative, we also played our part in securing a Labour council that will be “Ambitious for Croydon”.
After all we are the only party with councillors in all three of Croydon’s parliamentary constituencies: North, Central and South.
We have said our thank yous to all the party activists and supporters that helped, but the biggest thank you must go to the electorate who put their faith and trust in us at the ballot box.
All elected representatives of any political hue will agree this is a humbling occasion. We promise to be available and work hard for all residents. You have put your trust in us and we won’t let you down.
Councillors Andrew Rendle, Maddie Henson, Stephen Mann
- Ashburton residents are able to contact their councillors via the official Croydon Council website, once it has been updated to reflect the outcome of the elections
Coming to Croydon
- Greek Myths: stories and mask-making, May 27
- Weenies meet artist Hale Man, Whitgift centre, May 27-28
- The Information Project Crystal Palace debate, May 28
- Howard Marks: Scholar, Smuggler, Prisoner, Scribe, May 29
- David Lean Cinema: Dallas Buyers Club, May 29
- Tales from Ancient Greece, Upper Norwood Library, May 29
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, May 31
- Junction Road Big Lunch, June 1
- Stitch Pitch quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, June 2
- Croydon Tech City “summit”, June 6
- An Improvised Murder, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 7
- Crystal Palace Transition Town annual meeting, June 11
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org